Five Pollsters: Americans are Optimistic, Support President Trump and New Congress’ Tax and Regulatory Reform Proposals
WASHINGTON – The American Action Network (@AAN) today released survey results on Americans’ views on several policy proposals from President Donald Trump and the new Congress, the current political environment, and the Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch. One month in, the survey finds bipartisan support for their proposal to replace the tax code, reform the regulatory system and vote on the Supreme Court nominee.
“Our team of five leading polling firms worked together and found that Americans are optimistic about our country’s economy and widely support the tax and regulatory reforms that President Trump and the new Congress are proposing,” said Corry Bliss, AAN Executive Director. “This new survey comes with a strong warning for Members of Congress looking to obstruct these popular proposals during this Congress. We will do everything we can to fight for these center-right policies and ensure that Americans get results on the issues they care about.”
Among the key findings of the survey:
- Majority of respondents support proposals by President Trump and the Republican Congress to lower taxes, eliminate loopholes and simplify the tax code: 58% favor, 35% oppose. Among independents, 61% favor the plan.
- Reforming the regulatory system receives widespread support: 57% favor, 35% oppose. Among independents, 60% favor the plan that features eliminating unnecessary, duplicative, and burdensome regulations as well as a temporary moratorium on any new regulations.
- Eight out of 10 Americans agree that President Donald Trump is following through on his promises. Also, 51% of respondents believe President Trump is having a positive impact on changing the country.
- Only 12% of respondents believe the economy is getting worse. Prior to the election, 44% of voters believed the economy was getting worse (YouGov/Economist, Oct. 33-Nov. 1, 2016).
- Six out of 10 Americans agree that Neil Gorsuch deserves a confirmation vote in the Senate, including 61% of independents.
- Announcements of these legislative priorities to date have left Republicans holding a 3-point lead on the generic congressional ballot in competitive districts.
View the full survey results here.
AAN commissioned five widely respected polling firms American Viewpoint, GS Strategy Group, OnMessage Inc., Public Opinion Strategies, and Tarrance Group to conduct the national survey interviewing 1,000 registered voters on February 7-9, 2017. The margin of error is +/-3.1%.
The American Action Network is a 501(c)(4) ‘action tank’ that creates, encourages and promotes center-right policies based on the principles of freedom, limited government, American exceptionalism, and strong national security. The American Action Network’s primary goal is to put our center-right ideas into action by engaging the hearts and minds of the American people and spurring them into action to advance our center-right policy agenda.