Note from Norm: Stop Democrat’s Charge of the Light Brigade
As we come to the end of 2021 it can seem like the world is still running amok. Rising rates of crime, big government getting bigger, our foreign adversaries rattling sabers in many parts of the world, and the Minnesota Vikings have – again – broken our hearts.
Yet, despite all the bad news, there remains powerful good news all around us. The U.S. economy is growing, incredible advances have been made in medicine and science, and there are only 137 days until the Minnesota Fishing Opener.
On a personal note, 2021 has been a pretty good year for me. I continue to remain healthy thanks to my doctors, modern medicine, and a belief that G-d continues to have use for me on the planet. I gained two grandchildren, I was able to travel for work again and I was able to spend lots of time at my cabin with family and friends.
And, my wife, Laurie, and I just celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary!
As we look ahead to the final days of 2021, and begin to prepare for the early days of 2022, it’s important to remember that We, the People, have tremendous power and opportunity to affect the direction of our lives, and America.
We are not without power. And, as long as Democracy prevails in this land of the free and the brave and we never compromise on the commitment to ensure America stands for liberty, and justice for all, there’s nothing America – and Americans – cannot do.
It doesn’t take long to figure out what each of us can do – both big and small – to continue to build the America that is the strongest, most consequential, and powerful nation on Earth. But, in case you are struggling to find some ideas for purposeful impact in the New Year, I thought I would share with you a list of 22 ideas for 2022 that I think can help make a world of difference.
- Repeal Ranked Choice Voting: This abomination serves no useful purpose other than to give liberal and fringe candidates the ability to win elections they couldn’t win without changing the rules of voting.
- Enact Minimum Officer Standards: The City of Minneapolis, Minnesota has it – the City of St. Paul does not. It’s time to stop allowing the “Defund the Police” movement to have the power to make our cities unsafe.
- Reject Critical Race Theory: Critical Race Theory isn’t history, it isn’t science, and it isn’t a concept worthy of “teaching” in our schools. It’s time to put an end to putting propaganda in our schools as curriculum.
- Get Vaccinated, Get Boosted: President Trump created the ability for America to fight COVID-19 with the resources to develop vaccines to save lives. President Biden has made it clear that President Trump’s triumph should be accentuated by every American who can get vaccinated get vaccinated.
- Run for Office: Want change? Be the change and create the change.
- Volunteer for a Campaign: Candidates for change can’t win unless you help them.
- Volunteer for a Cause: There are over 1.5 million non-profits in America. Can’t decide which one to volunteer for? Close your eyes, pick one and then go volunteer for it.
- Donate to a Cause: Refer to #7
- Thank a Veteran: The reason should be obvious.
- Thank a Police Officer, Firefighter and First Responder: Refer to #9
- Thank a Health Care Professional: Refer to # 10 and # 9
- Have a meal with someone you don’t agree with politically: Our politics, and the politics of those around us, shouldn’t divide us. Our differences should be an opportunity to look for common ground.
- Make peace with a friend you lost over COVID, politics or pride: Life’s too short to hate or be angry.
- Read a book about American History written by an historian: The 1619 Project is not history. Bill O’Reilly is not an historian. There are plenty of historians who have written legitimate books about American History. Go find one and read it. And when you’re done, read another one.
- Read the Constitution of the United States of America:America’s History has already been written in this greatest instrument of Democracy the world has ever known.
- Don’t make the social media post/Delete the social media post: If it wouldn’t make your Mom proud, then you know what to do.
- Get a check-up: Whether you need it or not, get one. And, if something doesn’t feel right, look right, or seem right, make that appointment, and get it checked out.
- Be polite to retail workers: They are working hard in a world in which there aren’t enough people working hard with them.
- Be polite to everyone: Without exception.
- Protest peacefully: See #19
- Vote: See #5
- Pray: It’s the ultimate way to change the world.
Whatever your list, wherever you are, I wish you, your friends, and your family a safe, peaceful, happy, and joyful New Year!